Advanced Certificates and Open-enrolment Programs
Acquire an in-depth understanding of the energy business environment and market drivers
Energy geopolitics, alternative sources, revival of nuclear energy, environmental considerations are but a few subjects that preoccupy energy sector leaders and senior managers today. The Advanced Certificate in Energy is organized with the support of the Chair of Total in Energy and Management.
Level: Certified Program
Duration: 2 weeks
Location: HEC Paris in Qatar
- Strategy implementation
- In-depth understanding of energy issues
- Interactive learning methods
Locations: Doha, Qatar (May) and Berlin, Germany (October)
Credits gained upon successful completion of this 2-module Advanced Certificate may be used towards the HEC Paris Executive MBA. The EMBA Major can be taken as a specialization within the HEC Paris Executive MBA. The EMBA requires only 60 days out of the office over a 17-month period. More information in the Admission section.
Costs include all teaching fees, academic material, accomodation in both locations.
On free evenings, dinners will be at the expense of the participants.
Travel expenses to and from all modules are not included.
Academic fees are not subject to VAT.
The Advanced Certficate in Energy is open to all Executive MBA participants at HEC Paris and external applicants.
This program is run in Doha and Paris. It is aimed at executives and senior managers working or planning to work in industries and services where energy production and consumption, and greenhouse gas reduction policies significantly impact the corporate bottom line. The program focuses specifically on the definition and implementation of a corporate energy and climate strategy.
This Advanced Certificate addresses the need for leaders to develop a comprehensive and strategic view of energy issues, including climate impact on the global economy. It will give them the opportunity to:
- Understand the energy business environment and market drivers such as the geopolitics of resources, energy demand structure, producer and end-user strategies, industry organization and regulations
- Develop and implement strategies that address issues associated with energy prices, volatility and hedging, as well as energy-sensitive investment and financing requirements
- Understand energy technologies and their potential impact on business models
- Reflect on the extent to which climate change and climate change response policies will affect corporate strategies worldwide
- Understand energy markets, contracts and price formation mechanisms
The Advanced Certificate is comprised of two modules that take place in May and October, respectively.
The first module takes place in Doha, Qatar and focuses on upstream activities, primarily from the perspective of producers and producing companies. It provides a comprehensive understanding of all aspects of the upstream sector: reserves, productions, players (i.e. IOC, NOC, contractors), investments, costs, systems of taxes, contracts, financing, etc.
The second module takes place in Paris and focuses on power and utilities, oil downstream activities, end-users viewpoint, as well as energy efficiency and energy management issues. The module also includes sessions on conventional and new power supplies, such as clean coal (CCS), renewable and nuclear energy.
Andrea Masini, HEC Paris Associate Professor of Operations Management & Information Technology
Business Development Manager – Energy SBU at SGS Group
Senior Project Manager at Maersk Oil
Senior Manager IoT Services and Global Oil & Gas Business Lead at Cisco Systems
Finance Manager, GDF SUEZ QATAR
- Open enrolment subject to our selection process.
- The language of instruction is English. A professional level in English is required: TOEIC, TOEFL or IELTS (for applicants whose mother tongue is not English or candidates who do not hold a university degree from an English speaking institution).
- 18 credits gained upon successful completion of this two module Advanced Certificate may be used towards the HEC Paris Executive MBA.
- Holders of an Advanced Certificate will be able to deduct the full price of the Advanced Certificate if they are admitted to the HEC Paris EMBA.
- Each Advanced Certificate has two 1-week modules fixed for May and October respectively, to be delivered in two different locations, one of which is outside of France.
- Each module has a 5-day schedule, for a total of 10 days or 90 hours per Advanced Certificate.